积分

荣誉会员

积分
注册时间
2006-12-28
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-24 15:01:58 | 显示全部楼层
October 1, 2007

Audience aR1p Power Conditioner

I’ve been brainwashed over the years by promises from the power-purifier people. My innocence shattered, I tried Versalab Red Rollers, then Wood Blocks, then Bybee purifiers (both power and speaker versions) -- and then a PS Audio Power Plant P300, a PS Audio P600, and several Multiwave upgrades to the PSAs. Of them all, the Power Plants made the most easily audible differences. Basically, they transform alternating current from the wall into direct current, then back to controlled pure AC, along the way adjusting frequency and wave shape to help charge your capacitors faster. They also lower distortion and deliver balanced power, though rather inefficiently. At least one Multiwave setting, P2, makes things sound bigger and bolder. A PS Audio High Current Ultimate Outlet feeds my CD player. I also have a PS Audio Power Center 3.5 for my TV and associated gear, as protection against Texas lightning storms. I detect no improvement, but I feel better.

Audience’s new, one-outlet aR1p (rolls right off the tongue, doesn’t it?) high-resolution power conditioner ($495 USD) plugs directly into the wall outlet, avoiding the need for another power cord. That’s smart, and a significant savings right off the start. It is, however, the 600-pound gorilla of wall warts. You plug your AC cord into the bottom of the aR1p. This gadget fits tight! Audience claims it contains the same technology as their $3800 adeptResponse, except that it doesn’t have to protect each bank of outlets from nastiness generated by and shared among your components. Audience’s proprietary AuriCap capacitors are employed, along with a non-degenerative, non-MOV surge protector.

Audience makes power cords (called powerChords), lines of interconnects and speaker cables, plus AuriCaps and power filters in several sizes. Some of their interconnects and speaker wires are unusually thin in today’s hoseworld, but Audience claims technical advantages for this, as my ears can testify to -- I bought their interconnects and cables long before starting on this review.

My rig

My source is a Sony SCD-1 SACD player modified to Vacuum State Electronics’ Level 5, then subjected to Jim Ellis’s Breath of Life mod -- very worthwhile and cost-effective, though Level 5 is not cheap. My preamp is an Audio Research LS5 Mk.III modified to Reference Level by Great Northern Sound, and its tubes replaced by Upscale Audio with Type Three 6H23EBs. NuForce Reference 9 V2SE monoblocks replaced an ARC VT100 Mk.II. Interconnects are balanced Audience Au24s, and speaker cables are 30' runs of Au24. These replaced about $12,000 of Transparent Reference wire that I took a real beating on, but to my ears, the lesson learned in the upgrade to Audience wire was worth it in every way. My wall outlets are cryogenically treated Porter Ports.

The PS Audio P300, set to P2, feeds the ARC LS5 via an Electra Glide power cord. A lower-grade Shunyata AC cord feeds a PS Audio HC Ultimate Outlet, which in turn feeds the Sony SCD-1 via Electra Glide. A pair of custom AC cords from a boutique amp manufacturer feed the NuForce amps. A Salamander equipment rack is inset into the sidewall. Aurios Media Isolation Bearings jiggle under the player and preamp, and Black Diamond Racing cones sit under the amps and the PSA P300. Wilson Audio WATT/Puppy 7 loudspeakers do the woofing and tweeting. My Rives-designed listening room has an isolated 100A panel and dedicated circuits.

Initial impressions

The Audience aR1p looks a bit home-brew. Not that that matters, but it’s no shrunken version of their gleaming flagship power conditioner, the adeptResponse aR12, which, in pictures, reminds me of something from the Jeff Rowland Design Group. The aR1p was also larger than I expected: 2" x 3" x 6". If you have a quad outlet, you’ll find you can’t use two aR1ps side by side; they won’t fit. If, as I do, you have two double quad outlets, one above the other, with 2.5" of space between the faceplates, using a lower outlet of the top quad will effectively block the outlets below. It would work a whole lot better if the aR1ps were narrower. Then you could place two side by side in the lower outlets of the lower quad. Add the length of the plug from your cord and the radius of the power-cord bend into the aR1p, and the aR1p’s 6" effective length becomes 12" or more. It seems pretty clear from the ceiling-mount screw hole that the aR1p was thought to be the thing for ceiling-mounted HDTV projectors, and it probably is. "So impress me with great sound," I muttered.

Audience sent me two aR1ps. I planned to use them on everything, one at a time, then both on my monoblocks.

TV digression

Just for fun, I put one aR1p ahead of the PS Audio Power Director feeding the TV, etc. Immediately, I noticed that the sound got clearer. Huh? My 17-year-old RPTV’s picture didn’t improve, but where there had been brightness in the highs, they became acceptable and cleaner.

Audio exploration

In my listening room, I compared the aR1p with my Power Plant P300 by plugging the ARC LS5 Mk.III preamp alternately into each. I’d always thought the P300 sounded more vivid than real, but I’d liked it, and this was a very close call. I give the nod to the Audience because it’s a passive design, doesn’t generate heat, and sounded, well, organic. The aR1p had good dynamics, strong bass, clear highs, and clean mids -- basically, the strengths of my amps, preamp, and SACD player. Well, first do no harm. I felt that CD reality was well served by the aR1p -- it sounded more real than the P300.

Next I tried the Sony SCD-1 into the aR1p using an Audience powerChord. My usual AC cord was too short to reach all the way down the rack and accommodate the radius of cable turn to the aR1p. I switched to one of the powerChords Audience had provided, but that changed two variables and I wanted to deal with just one, at least at first. But I had no other option. The Audience powerChords are more flexible than my Electra Glides and just reached the SCD-1’s receptacle. I heard nothing misbehaving, bad, ugly, or wrong; I also heard no new magic.

I switched the aR1p back to the preamp, now running on the Audience powerChord. Net result: a greater difference into the preamp vs. into the SACD player, and thus a step forward. There was a better sense of nuance in the musicianship, and more punch in the bass drum. This would turn out to be an addictive combo. Yet I don’t think the powerChord mattered in this. The Electra Glide did a fine job too.

I next plugged my NuForce monoblocks into the two Audience aR1ps. I expected this to be the big whammy. Cursing the electrician who put the outlets in a hard-to-reach place (we were 1200 miles away while the house was being built), I half expected to dislocate a shoulder. Now I did hear a substantial difference. My usual power cords for the amps, Tiffanys, add just a touch of edge that seems to be detail but might not be. By comparison, the broken-in powerChords and the aR1ps removed that -- god, I hate to write grit -- and so music seemed less aggressive. I played the Barenaked Ladies’ Stunt [CD, Reprise 46963-2], which is pretty compressed and full of jangle. It did seem that the powerChords and aR1ps communicated a very nice sense of the singing; processing aside, the guys sounded real. However, I wasn’t lost in lust. The CD sounded brighter, too.

Audiences everywhere: filters and powerChords

I decided to replace all of my power cords with Audience powerChords. I needed about a 12" clearance to use a powerChord under an aR1p due to its length, the plug, and radius of bend in the cable, and each Chord raised the price of my system another $500. I believe the powerChords are fine pieces of work, but -- happy surprise! -- not sonically better than what I use in my system. I let the powerChords cook for about 170 hours, then listened more, then again as I subtracted them. Sometimes that can reveal what you didn’t notice right away -- the soundfield collapses, or whatever.

Murphy’s Law of Power Cords: No matter which cord you use, the twist you have to make to align it with the component’s IEC connector input will torque the box in such a way that it no longer floats on its Aurios or whatever other vibe damper you use. Murphy’s Law of Reviewing: You may grow very sick of your favorite discs as you play them over and over, seeking tiny improvements. Murphy’s Law of Upgrades: You can spend a fortune for a little better or a little for a lot better, but you won’t know in advance which is which.

Somehow, I’d lost the magic. The all-Audience setup sounded "too polite." Had I burned myself out with too-long listening sessions? Chosen bad reference discs? Had I picked at the scab of an old prejudice? The best sound so far was with only one aR1p on the preamp, without any Audience powerChords. At this point I had a mental tug-of-war: If one aR1p is good, two are twice as good.

I switched back to one aR1p feeding the ARC preamp, using my own power cords. Immediately, the magic returned: more bass guitar and kick drum, noticeably more punch. The image expanded somewhat. Some details stepped out a bit farther in the mix. I should now play Steve Miller’s Abracadabra.

Conclusion

With my ARC preamp plugged into the Audience aR1p, I played Steely Dan’s Two Against Nature [CD, Giant 24719-2]. My god. This was a visceral experience. I don’t know how they do what they do, but compared to some flat, cardboard-between-the-speakers CD soundstages, sounds were blooming all over the room. Amazing. This was why I persist in this hobby -- the room was alive. Two channels suddenly sounded like five.

When this sort of thing happens, you can conclude that your speakers are fine, your rig is fine, that life is fine. If your system can do this, any weak links aren’t showing. It’s just great sound from a synergistic set of electronics and circumstances, and you want more.

Note to self: Sell PS Audio P300, replace with one of these great-sounding passive wall warts -- I mean, an Audience aR1p.

[ 本帖最后由 bruceshen 于 2008-12-24 15:04 编辑 ]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
注册时间
2005-1-23
发表于 2008-12-24 15:02:06 | 显示全部楼层
沙发,占位,顶!
Linn, VAW/Graham Slee, Podium Sound
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

中级会员

积分
注册时间
2007-7-24
发表于 2008-12-24 15:15:39 | 显示全部楼层
板凳, 占位, 顶!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

荣誉会员

积分
注册时间
2006-12-28
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-24 15:17:25 | 显示全部楼层
再来一段head-fi上网友有趣的留言

Todd R
Headphoneus Supremus
11-27-2008, 12:12 AM

I'll toss in my 2 volts here on the subject

I used to own a Hydra 6. It was fairly good in spite of not much being inside it.

When I simplified my system I used an Audience aR1p with a PS Audio Juice bar (which is just a power distribution box).
It was better than the Hydra.

I had the idea to add a second aR1p to one of the outlets on the Juice bar, and then plug my CD player into that.
Big improvement in soundstage.

That got me thinking...
The Audience aR6 and aR12 had even better filtering as well as having all the outlets isolated from each other.
I took the plunge and ordered the aR6.

OMG!
What a big improvement in almost every area!
And... it didn't choke my amps. Every other conditioner/filter I ever tried always seemed like it was throttling back my amp, and I ended up plugging them directly into the wall, but not the Audience units.

Yes it's expensive, but the aR6 about the same price as the Hydra 8.
The aR6 & aR12 also come with an Audience Power Chord, so take that into consideration.

"I shouldn't be left alone with my thoughts" TR

Home: Marantz SA-11S1 CD/SACD player, Linn LP12, Bottlehead SEX amp, Sennheiser HD-650 W/ Cardas cable, Grado RS-2.
deHavilland Ultraverve preamp, Bottlehead Paramount Mono Blocks, Zu Druid speakers.
Portable/computer desk: Headroom Micro amp & Micro DAC, ER-4P In the car: iPod Classic 80 Gig, Alpine Deck
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

荣誉会员

积分
注册时间
2006-12-28
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-24 15:19:10 | 显示全部楼层
一个干掉了ps audio P300, 另一个抛弃了蛇王hydra6, 改用ar1p
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

荣誉会员

积分
注册时间
2006-12-28
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-24 15:27:45 | 显示全部楼层
再来一个soundstage编辑的器材配置, 看看ar1p在何位置。

My rig

I configured the CA-2100 for balanced input, my VSE-modified Sony SCD-1 CD/SACD player running balanced to a Great Northern Sound-modded Audio Research LS5 Mk III preamp. This preamp also has a set of 6H23EB type 3 tubes from Upscale Audio, replacing the stock 6922s. My system has been upgraded since my last review -- with an Audience aR1p used with each of four new dedicated lines, one for each piece of gear. I also have a Fusion power cord on my preamp.

All interconnects are balanced Audience Au24. The speaker cables feeding Wilson Audio WATT/Puppy 7s are also Audience Au24. Other power cords are Electraglide Reference. Aurios sit under the SCD-1 and preamp. Walker Extreme SST treats tube pins in the preamp and various interconnects. Porter Port outlets are used for each circuit. All equipment sits in a cutout in a wall and backed into a closet, the backside of which opens into a hallway. My dedicated listening room was designed by Rives Audio.

[ 本帖最后由 bruceshen 于 2008-12-24 15:28 编辑 ]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

荣誉会员

积分
注册时间
2006-12-28
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-24 15:38:12 | 显示全部楼层
再看看一个哥们的配置有dac1和ar1p, 而且和我一样大多听得是jazz.

adjieda's Too Many Tweaks System
IP Address: 118.137.203.45 Last Update: August 18, 2008 at 09:23:50

Amplifier:  Consonance Cyber 800 mono blocks
Nuforce Reference 9v2
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated):  Aesthetix Calypso
Speakers:  Audio Physic Tempo, B&W PV1
Sources:  
CD Player/DAC:  Pioneer 676, Benchmark DAC1
Turntable/Phono Stage:  Clearaudio Avantgarde Magnum, Linn LP12
Tonearm:
Origin Live Illustrious Mk2
Hadcock 242SE
Phonostage:
Aesthetix Rhea
Graham Slee Era Gold V/Elevator
Cartridge:
Lyra Titan
Music Maker III
Shelter 501
Other Source(s):  iTunes, Slimdevices
Other Accessories/Room/Misc.:  
Speaker Cables/Interconnects:  Interconnects
Acoustic Zen Silver 2 XLR, MC2
Acrolink 7N-2070 XLR, 6N-5050II RCA
Siltech SG84 XLR
Stereovox HDXV, XV2
Audience Au24
Speaker Cables
47Labs OTA
Audience Au24
Stealth Cloude 9
Other (Power Conditioner, Racks etc.):  Oyaide R1's wall receptacle on 2 dedicated wall outlets
Power conditioner/distributor:
Audience AdeptResponse Ar1p
, Isotek Vision, Multiway, Oyaide MTB-4 and MTB-6 with R1s
Receptacles:
Oyaide WPZ with R1s
Power Cords: Kimber PK10Gold, Van Den Hul Mainstream, Audience PowerChord, Synergistic Research, Acrolink 6N-4030s with Oyaide P004/C004 on digital and P046/C046 on monoblock amplifiers
Rack: Finite Elemente Signature
Tweaks:  Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Tannoy ST25 SuperTweeters
Vibrapod Isolator and Cones
Finite Elemente Ceraballs, Cerapucs, Cerabase
Herbie's Audio Lab Hal-Os, Iso-Cups, Big Fat Dots, Dots, Baby Booties, Damping Sheets.
Eighth Nerve Room Treatments
Shakti Stones and Onlines
Walker Audio SST on all connetions and power chords
Walker Audio High Definition Links on tweeter binding posts
Stillpoints ERS Paper in DAC1 and DIP and power conditioner
Preamp Tubes: Mullard CV4004 CV4003, Telefunken 12ax7, Sovtek 12ax7lps, EI 12ax7 12au7, Tungsol 12ax7, EH 12x7 12au7, RCA Cleartop 12au7, RCA Black Plate 5751, Raytheon Triple Mica 5751, GE 5751, Sylvania 6SN7 WGT/ WGTB/WGTA/VT 231, Siemens 6922/E88CC/Cca, Amperex 7308, Mullard E182CC, Jan Philips E88CC, Raytheon 5751
Power Tubes: Svetlana EL34, GE 6CA7, JJ E34L, EAT KT88, Svetlana KT88, EI KT90
Cartridge Man's Isolator
Living Voice Mystic Mat
Pete Riggle's VTAF
Acoustic Revive QR8 3 sets, RR-77, RGC-24, SIP-8F, BSIP-2F
Golden Sound Acoustic Discs
Clear/Smoky Quartz, Black Tourmaline tweaks on electrical chain

Room Size (LxWxH):  8m x 8m x 3.5m
Music Preferences and Comments:  
Music Used (Genre/Selections):  Mostly Jazz, occasional rock and pop
System Goals/Comments:  Transparency and clarity
System Strengths:  DAC1
System Weaknesses:  Room Accoustics
Video/HT System: Separate
TV/Projector:  Phillips 34Hdtv
Processor/Receiver/Amplifiers:  Denon avr 3805
Speakers (Center, Surrounds, Sub):  Kef KHT 2005.2
Sources (DVD/VCR):  Pioneer 676
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
注册时间
2005-1-23
发表于 2008-12-24 15:46:16 | 显示全部楼层
我的板凳帖淹没在E文里啊

[ 本帖最后由 pieryu 于 2008-12-24 17:41 编辑 ]
1.jpg
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
注册时间
2008-5-8
发表于 2008-12-24 16:48:24 | 显示全部楼层
布版搞个团购吧,小白那里至少要搞个AR6P
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

10万

帖子

积分

版主

俱乐部理事

积分
注册时间
2001-11-21

优秀版主奖耳机鉴赏奖社区建设奖

发表于 2008-12-24 18:43:42 | 显示全部楼层
一万块... 太贵了. 3K的只能插一件器材,也没用. 谁家里只用一个器材的?

我宁可放一个P100用,至少能插俩. CD一个,耳放一个,正好够用.
安润上海店:http://anrun.taobao.com
小白的新浪博客: http://blog.sina.com.cn/headphoneclub
欢迎订阅微信公众号“耳机俱乐部小白版主”
B站频道:http://space.bilibili.com/232721015
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

荣誉会员

积分
注册时间
2006-12-28
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-24 23:34:41 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 小白 于 2008-12-24 18:43 发表
一万块... 太贵了. 3K的只能插一件器材,也没用. 谁家里只用一个器材的?

我宁可放一个P100用,至少能插俩. CD一个,耳放一个,正好够用.

ar1p可做总供电, 用排插, 接所有器材.

AR6P要2万左右.

[ 本帖最后由 bruceshen 于 2008-12-24 23:40 编辑 ]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

荣誉会员

积分
注册时间
2006-12-28
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-24 23:39:26 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 跟你丫死磕 于 2008-12-24 16:48 发表
布版搞个团购吧,小白那里至少要搞个AR6P

我可以试着谈谈, 如果有人真的要的话.
我自己可能还会弄1个.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

1万

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
注册时间
2005-1-23
发表于 2008-12-25 00:11:57 | 显示全部楼层
团购价多少
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

中级会员

积分
注册时间
2007-6-24
发表于 2008-12-25 00:38:30 | 显示全部楼层
ar1p多少w的?可以做总开关?搞个接ps再生电源好像不错啊

线是怎么接的?墙插--》线--》ar1p?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

耳机俱乐部微信
耳机俱乐部微信

联系我们|有害信息举报:010-60152166 邮箱:zx@jd-bbs.com|手机版|Archiver|黑名单|中国耳机爱好者俱乐部 ( 京ICP备09075138号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-10 19:57 , Processed in 0.097886 second(s), 40 queries , Gzip On.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表